Saturday, August 23, 2008

2012 Olympics: Here I Come!??!

Maybe it is the feeling of you can do anything you put your mind (and body) to as you watch the olympics and hear of the many stories of how someone reached their goal as an olympian or its the cool weather in the morning or insanity setting in but I accomplished something this morning that I probably never would have thought I would do probably two weeks ago. Over the summer, I have (sparatically) been walking in the morning. Well about a month ago my right foot started to really bother me and if I don't wear arch supports or wrap my foot, it feels like I have left cactus needles in my heel for two years. So instead of walking, my friend Lynell and I started to ride bikes so we could still do a little bit of exercise. I think I am past the sore 'hiney' now but today I really pushed myself and I am pretty proud of myself that I did it. (Even though I was slower than the others).

So what did I do to make myself think that I can be an olympian? I rode from my house to the stoplight in Snowflake! Our guess is about 10 miles (I'm clocking it tomorrow) but this is definitely a big physical accomplishment for me. And its harder than you think. When you drive between Snowflake and Taylor 20 billion times in your life you do not notice all the hills. Let me say that if you ride a bike you will notice every slight incline there is. You know the phrase "Uphill both ways", thats what it felt like.)

There was only one time that I did loose my sanity temporarily and had to chant to myself "pump, pump, pump" as I climbed a hill, but I did okay since I am not Ms. Exercise herself (I just hate to sweat-a little phobia I have, I know I am weird). And I am not sore at all either, but I did take a nap because I was so drained and did not have enough energy to even keep my 2 oz eyelids from closing this afternoon, so I do feel good about it.

Okay so I may not end up waving to the Queen of England as I race through London in 2012 as a cyclist but I do have a smaller fear of not doing 'this' or 'that' because my mind tells me I can't do it because my body is weak. I am definitely the little train who not only said "I think I can" but "I know I can." I still have a long ways to go to receiving the title of Ms. Exercise but I know that I can do it. Just takes a little bit of will power and a good friend to get you up early each morning to do it.

8 comments:

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

I am in such AWE that you did that! Especially that hill by the jr. high. ..that must have been a killer!! I say go for the triathlon!

Aunt Bec said...

Sweet! Isn't it amazing when you accomplish things you didn't think you could ever do! There is no way in China I could do that right now! Don't stop here! Go out and conquer your world - Defy Gravity! You can do it!

Devin and Melinda said...

Way to go Steph! Keep it up and you may be surprised at what you can achieve! I haven't ridden a bike in a really long time!

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

You are WAY braver than I am. I won't even go near a bike ever since integrated in HS. But if you make it to the Olympics I'll come watch!

Zonnie said...

Good to hear it is possible. Blair and I just joined a gym...tomorrow is our first day. I don't care so much about the weight anymore so much as the energy just to live life and be happy!!

Monique Allan said...

steffy, you rock! I'm amazed! 10 miles is way more than I could do. I'm so happy you accomplished what you did. I love your blogs.

Snowflake Lobos 2001 said...

Hey! Check out this new blog! Leave some comments or suggestions and get re-connected with friends!

Kalli said...

Steph!! I found your blog through the new "snowflake lobos" blog, and I'm so glad I did! Sounds like you are doing great things!! Its great to get an update :)