Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Good, Bad, and AWESOME!

Hey All~

I know I always post about my *AWESOME* trips around my dear, gorgeous Germany but I thought I would let you know when and what. Plus I have started a list of the the Good, Bad, and *AWESOME* about Germany (or Europe). So here goes.

When do I return to AMAZING AMERICA?

Answer ~ Still pending. I'm trying to fit in a few extra trips (Paris, Nice, Rome, maybe Denmark). My student teaching ends May 22nd so I will at least be there until then. I plan to maybe be back between June 7th and 15th. (Depends on when the money runs out right??)

It's always best to get rid of the worst right? Then its all fab from there so here is the BAD of my travels.

  • Most public restrooms you have to PAY 50-80 cents to use the restroom. That is about $1 after exchange rate. I guess if you really need it, its worth it. Otherwise you have to pass the Brezel (pretzel) later on. So be careful with that water eh?
  • Music! - Not music in general but the music here is just the same in the U.S. That's right, Jason Mraz (I'm Yours), Britney, Kelly, Lady Gaga, and all them. I was looking forward to hearing German pop music. There are a few songs but most are U.S. artists. I do forgive in a way because I guess the reason for U.S. artists is that German words are hard to put to music. The way the language goes it is hard to sing music in German. - I guess that is why most of the famous musicians from Germany are classical composers - they didn't have to write words to their music. But then again there are a lot of famous operas in German...
  • This one is pretty obvious since I don't speak the local language but a 'bad' thing is not being able to truely communicate with the locals. I would have been able to meet lots of interesting people if only I could say more than, "Hallo" and "Tschuss." But that is nobody's fault besides my own.
  • So I thought I was so cool. I finally found a copy of December Boys with Daniel Radcliffe. Looks like a good movie. Well, a little lesson. If you buy it in Germany or Europe for that matter and is in English does not mean that it will play on a U.S. dvd player. Yep, something about "cannot play outside of country boundaries." So now I have a copy of December Boys that I cannot and will not be able to watch unless I buy a Germany dvd player. Argh!
  • I must start this in red to eccentruate my anger. Are you ready? This just might burn your britches too! ~ You have to pay for water at an restaurant! But wait. It gets worse. And its like $3-4!! I usually order water to save money when eating out but if you don't want to die from dehydration during a fabulous meal you have to pay for that natural resource that we will never run out of. And to boot - oh yes, there is more - it's carbonated mineral water. It was hard to stomach it the first few times but I am slowly getting used to it. By the time I get home, I just might be drinking like an European (drink water that is like an European).

K - now the worst is over so on to the GOOD stuff.

  • Europe is very "environment" friendly thus they recycle. As an 'careless' American I do have to be careful when throwing garbage away because every eye at the train station watches me. You can feel the lasers burn through you when you don't recycle. But I am putting this under GOOD because it is a good thing to recycle. I wish it was pushed more in the U.S. We are very 'trashy' people and we need to be more careful with what we through away and how. ~end of political, environmental plug.
  • The only 'real' fast food here are McD's and Burger King. I love that the restaurants are not chains. Locals run them all (or most) and I love that they serve you on real plates when you eat at the restaurant. "Take away" you get the paper bag but you feel important when you stay no matter who you are because you get awesome white dishes that are so "ikea". Love it! Just feels like you are spending a lot more than $2 for a croisant.
  • British TV!! Gotta love our family across the pond! Now I must say that yeah they play re-runs of American TV but they have their own versions of shows like Family Feud (1980s). Their commercials - they shut down London Central Station and EVERYONE dances. Plus who doesn't love a British accent. Oh and I should mention "House of Elliots." Good British soap!
  • Light switchs. Now I know what you are thinking, "come on Steph, you're in Germany and you fall in love with the light switchs." And I say, "Yep!" They are of simple design, located in convenient places. But another cool thing about the light switches is that if a light is on, say in the bathroom, a little red light is on saying 'occupied'. Love it!

Now for the AWESOME!

  • "Oh Schnitzel!" You much try it! Nothing like a thin, breaded piece of pork with lemon juice squeezed on top. Mmm Mmm AWESOME! Schnitzel!! ~ And I can have schnitzel almost everyday at the train station.
  • I love that the little engines "can" in Europe! I am practically connected to anyway place in Europe! Wanna go to Amsterdam - hop on the train. Wanna go to Salzburg - hop on the train. Wanna go anywhere - hop on the train! I Love it! And it usually is not too bad of a price. (Just get your tickets 3+ days before you leave and you usually get a deal). European travel is the next best thing next to having your own car! - It actually might just be better...
  • Simple and sweet - there are some GOOD, or should I say AWESOME looking Ger'mans' here!
  • Last thing I'm going to mention in this list is that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE! From day one on the trains trying to drag 4 pieces of luggage through inches of snow to yesterday buying a Doner. I've even been called a "proper woman" by an Irishman. (Great story - maybe someday I'll share it if I haven't). Seriously everyone is your friend even if you can't communicate that with them. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Funny Story: My last post was about the charming castle of Mespelbrunn. The tour of the castle was only in German but there was a flyer that we read in English. Of course there was a gallery in the castle of the royal family dating back to the 1500s or so. One of the daughters was Marie Antionette. When we read about this Marie Antionette we were curious whether or not this Marie Antionette was France's M.A.

The cute tour guide clarified that this is another Marie Antionette (sorry Kirsten Dunst fans, if you do exist, this is not France's Marie Antionette that was beheaded). This is Marie Antionette of Germany, who was a fan of Wilhelm and Jakob Grimm (a.k.a. Brothers Grimm, natives of Germany).

At this time our tour guide informed us that the Grimms spent lots of time at the castle visiting Marie. She was a fan of the brothers' works. In his words, "She liked the Grimm Brothers so they spent time at the castle."

Well, of course our curiosity peeked and we asked, "Liked?" You just never know what 'liked' means. We caught our guide by surprised on asking more. He blushed (he was probably only 18 or so and struggled a little with the English). Through a grin and blushing cheeks he replied, "She 'like liked' the Grimm Brothers." Based on his embarassment and hesitation on his English we got the point.

~Just another Antionette who "like liked" men she couldn't have. But it was funny how the guide got embarassed when he was asked what "liked" meant. Moral of the story...Sometimes things are not lost in translation.

2 comments:

the cates said...

Ok you just made me MORE jealous! Except about the water and potty situations...how rude!

Deb N Stu said...

That was an awsome update Steph. I really hope you bring home one of those nice looking German boys!