Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Nurnberg

I must say that I was not expecting an enchanting place when I went to Nurnberg a few weekends ago. It really surprised me to find a beautiful castle (but my pics just don't do it justice) and I really didn't expect to hike up a mountain to get there. But I did and I made it. I enjoyed walking the grounds of the castle and made another climb up the Sinwell Turn.
The sinwell turn was yet another circular staircase that keeps going and going and going. And just when you think you can't make it any farther you reach the top and realize that all that hard labor of climbing was worth it. It's worth the climb because of the beautiful view of Nurnberg.




When I opened the door to go up the Sinwell Turn I was faced with this creepy view. I expected the king's soldiers to jump out and point their arrows at me. It was kind of freaky...



View "up" the sinwell turn. It keeps going and going and going...you get the point.









I did buy tickets to tour the castle but I never found the entrance and I didn't get much help from the tourist place but I did walk the around the castle that was fantastic and peaceful. Every where you look it is a breathtaking view that you never want to forget. Of course I take pictures but I can't get a picture of everything. (And I only post so many. I know I have over 1,000 pics, maybe even close to 2,000 from my dream of being in Germany).


The view that paid off the climb. Oh how beautiful roofs can be eh?




From the top, the
slight climb up to the castle.




The castle was awesome. I was able to go into a museum there that had articles of clothing, weapons, dishes, toys, and more from the castle. Really it is amazing to see real spears and guns that are literally 6 feet or more long that take 10+ men to handle. There were also old globes, canon ball machines, and horse saddles. As I stood there in awe of these items I really could but thinking that this stuff was 400+ yrs old!! Just throughs me for a loop that there is proof of history so far back.

BIG door to the castle courtyard. Probably the biggest I have seen!











Servants quarters in side the castle gate. Very "German" wouldn't you say?
Outside the castle walls was a beautiful city full of excitement. Since it was a Saturday, the Hausmarkt Strasse was busy with farmers and buyers. The main item was the "frischer spargel" - translated fresh white aspargus. May I say that I love aspargus but there is joy also in white aspargus. If you find it, buy it, and enjoy it. In Germany it is the thing to eat during its harvest time. But more on spargel later.

This is a picture of the famous Geistspital (Holy Spirit hospital) in Nurnberg that is now a rest home. It's very enchanting considering its a hospital.

Okay so this gold shrine looking thing is really nothing but a 'good luck' charm to those you touch the ring that's in the gate. I thought it was if you just touch the gate but you have to touch a certain ring so no good luck for me...but then again I did kiss the blarney stone in Ireland so I hope I'm covered.





















House of Albrecht Durer, one of Germany's most prominent artists. I do have to say that is art is absolutely amazing.















Last but not least the one gondala that I will see on this trip to Europe.





p.s. sorry the pics and everything are all skee-waddley. I was trying something now and it didn't work. I would fix it but I can't right now...

3 comments:

Aunt Bec said...

Once Again, I am jelous. You are really making me want to take a trip. Beautiful place. When are you coming home? You look great! And congrats on the graduation. That is fabulous! Can't wait to hear all about your travels in person.

Brittany said...

I loved Nurnberg! I went to it twice! It looks like there was water in the mote around the castle when you went though. There wasn't any water either times I went. There was a beer fest going on in it one night. :)

Lorraine said...

I want to come - can I come? What a beautiful experience you've had. Close your eyes when you come home because you will never see anything like Europe around here. Right now the weeds are green though. Love you, see you soon, MOM