Sunday, February 8, 2009

Nurnberg, Germany

Okay, yes it has been a long time since my last post but it is not because I think I am too cool for all you who reside in the states. I am not that European yet (j/k). No actually everyone has been really nice. I have only had a few people stare or glare at me because I don't speak the language(s) here but hey, I bring $ to their businesses so really they should not complain.
I went to Nurnberg 2 weeks ago and I definitely had a very enjoyable time. Our adventure (Jessica, Ms. Deatherage, and I) started at the Documentation Centre which is located on the Nazi Party Rally Grounds. All the pictures you see about the Nazi Party Rallies happened here in the 1920-1930s. The centre was part of the Kongresshalle which was built to look like the Colliseum in Rome because Hitler was fascinated by Roman rule and architecture. Below is a few pictures of the building.

This is a photo of a photo but this is an aerial view of the Kongresshalle. The square shaped portion on the right side is where the Documentation Centre is.

Outside view of the Kongresshalle (pic by me this time).

This picture is taken from a "half bridge" or "plank" that you walk out on to see the middle of the 'colliseum'. Yeah it was a little scary because you have to put your faith in suspension and metal flooring but you also get a great view of the inside.

The Documentation Centre is really a museum of pictures from the start of Hitler becoming the German Fuhrer to the end of the Nurnberg trials. You look at pictures and listen to audio about each successive moment of Hitler and the Nazi Party. It was very interesting to hear about the justification of Hitler and is party and how they munipulated the people of Germany, Poland, and other countries so that they could control Europe. Unbelievable! I highly recommend it. The other thing about the musuem is that it takes place in the rooms of where the Nazi Party planned their take-over. Everyone once in a while I would just pause and think that such disturbing moments in history took place where I was standing. I have walked where Hitler walked. - I am just at a loss of words for how I felt because so many people suffered things that all of us cannot even begin to comprehend. And as much as you come to put this fact together and this fact you still wonder how World War I & II and the holocaust still happened!

After our scary walk out on the 'plank' we headed to Zeppelin Field. Zeppelin Field is where Hitler made most of his speeches. When the U.S. reached Nurnberg they blasted the swastika on top of the stand. Pic below is of the U.S. Soldiers celebrated their defeat of the Nazi Regime after blowing up the swastika.

Me on the steps at Zeppelin Field.

Pic from the ground, where the fence is on the top-left of the picture used to be pillars but in the 1970s the pillars were removed.

This picture is of a broken stature of Hitler's face and a German soldier's cup. This was in a hole in the flooring of the Documentation Center.
Well, that was my adventure in Nurnberg. We also went to the Germanische Museum which is an art musuem. Of course I have no pictures of that since they are not allowed but I did get to see some Rembrandt, Durer, and more.

2 comments:

Zonnie said...

I loved the history lesson! Keep 'em comin! Good luck with the math lesson!

Brittany said...

Sigh! You're making me "homesick" for Germany! I'm so jealous you got to go into the Documentation Center. I went to Zeppelin field and a couple of other places used by Hitler. It was really amazing, not quiet the right term, but you know what I mean! Lucky girl!