Sunday, February 8, 2009

First lesson with a little "Ross and Rachel"

So this past week I took a bigger step into teaching. I gave my first lessons in Social Studies. Everything went well. The kids are still getting used to me being another authority figure in the classroom and not just someone who sits in the back of the classroom. There is a good mixture of personalities in the classroom so there has yet to be a boring moment.

Tomorrow I start teaching Math which I am very nervous about because this isn't 1+1 math. I hope I am able to teach and deliver the lesson clearly so I "leave no child left behind." (Gotta love NCLB 2001 eh?). I also am putting together a lesson on Abraham Lincoln to celebrate his 200th b-day this Thursday so that will be interesting.

Oh and to share a "Friends" moment that happened the other day in the classroom. So 4th grade, girls no longer chase the boys or vice versa; cooties no longer exist. As a boy and girl walked into the classroom the other day they arguing about something. I caught the last of it when the boy says, "He doesn't want to break up with her; he only wants to take a "break!"" And yes he did the quotating fingers when he said "break." I totally was dumbfounded. How in the world would 4th graders know about 'breaking up' and 'being on a break'? ??? Too much adult tv I guess...

1 comment:

Aunt Bec said...

I am totally jelous. I am sure that you will do or did great with your Math presentation, you were always great at explaining things!