Sunday, February 8, 2009

Munich and Matt Damon, Part 1

I am really excited to write this blog. The post has been sitting in my 'edit' box for awhile but I must write now. And I have about 1 hour to do it so here goes.
07.02.09 - No not, July 2nd 09, but February 7th, 2009 (yes that is how they write the date here in Europe - very confusing, still getting used to it) Jessica, other student teacher for DoDDS, and I headed to Munich via train at 7:34 am. It started with a 7 minute walk to the train, wrapped in our coats, scarfs, gloves, hats, and double layered socks. We then took the train to Treuchligten, switched trains and connected to Munich. We arrived about 10:30ish and the real fun was about to begin.
First thing off the train in Munich we were a little nervous because of a supposed "non-violent" demonstration that was to happen in Marienplatz (Mary's square) there in Munich. I guess Joe Biden was in town meeting with the Iraqi president and other world leaders so the Europeans took the opportunity to exercise the right of speech/complaint/drama/hippy days or something like that. (The military had sent out a warning but everyone told us to still go-all would be fine). Anyways, right off the train there was several groups, each about 20+, polizei or squat team members tramping through the train station. And I should say it is very intimidating because of the way they walk. Outside the train station police vans and cars were wizzing by, patroling the city.

After we failed at finding an actual map of Munich to help us navigate we set out with my hand-drawn map from googlemaps.com to find Marienplatz before the demonstration started. We were able to find it with no problem but it wasn't hard to find once you found the crowd of protestors and shoppers heading the same way you were going. Once to Marienplatz, we looked in a few stores for it is mainly a wide street with shops on both sides. We were able to also find Frauenkirsche (Church of Our Lady). This church is an icon of Munich. It has beautiful architecture in and out. We spent about 30 minutes there, enough to warm up. And now a few pics (I know haven't posted any for awhile).


Interior of Frauenkirche, built in 1468-88


Organ in Frauenkirche, I so would like to have played it!! Or hear it for that matter.



Church over yet?! Just me sitting on a bench.

After the Frauenkirche, we headed to the main center of Marienplatz. This is where the Glockenspiel is which is a big clock and under the clock is a place where at certain times figures come out and enact the Dance of the Coopers. We didn't have time to wait for noon since the square was beginning to fill with protestors and militia so we took a few pictures. We tried not to talk while we were there since the demonstration was against Americans. (Hmm, yeah we are smart eh?!) I really don't have a good picture of the Glockenspiel but I hope to have time to go back before I leave.
Glockenspiel is at the bottom of this picture where the greenish-portion of the building is with red in the middle.


Zoomed out, you can see the sqaure filling up with demonstrations. If you look closely at the bottom of the picture in the middle you can see a man in the background. He was going on and on in German about something to do with the demonstration.


Just a cool building and clock on one end of Marienplatz.
After our quick-view of Marienplatz we headed to Hofbrauhaus. Hofbrauhaus is the famous beer hall in Munich, the place where Oktoberfest originated. An those who know me know that this was not on my 'top 10 things to see in Munich' but Jessica had to go so I tagged along. It should have been a sign that it was not meant to be since we got lost but thanks to my good sense of direction, which some of you can testify of (not mentioning any names Mom and Lynell), we were able to find it. But just before we found it we stopped at a little pizza joint and ate some delicious pizza. It wasn't Bits great but it was delicious considering we hadn't eaten anything for 6 hrs. Once we got to Hofbrauhaus it took us another 10 minutes to figure out who would seat us. Finally we found a 'rude' waiter who said, "Just sit." So of course we sat. Jess got her beer and drank and drank and drank. I don't know how big that thing was but it was probably just under a gallon. It took her 2 1/2 hours to drink it! Yeah me! I shouldn't complain because from there it kind of got better. I was kind of down because we had lost time since we got lost and I was sitting forever in a beer hall but soon came along a group of 6 gentlemen who sat at our table. It was an eclectic group 3 Americans, 2 Asians, and one delicious Matt Damon.
Oh yes, Matt Damon - the german version! Okay so it wasn't the real Matt Damon but boy did this German beauty look like him. And I should mention it now of how sad I am that we never got a picture but please believe me. We were not brave enough to get a picture of him. But time to stop the girl talk, we became friends with this group of guys and they offered for us to tag along with them. Since they were pretty much heading our way and they had a map and 'german Matt Damon" who knew the way we could not reject the offer. (Don't worry mom and dad, they were all very nice and I didn't get a creepy feeling. It felt like a blessing since we had already had been lost in a city with a protest against Americans going on.) We then headed back through Marienplatz, where the protest had begun but it really sounded and looked like a festival or parade because it was all happy music and dancing, to BMW Museum and Olympic park.

Besides drooling over our German tour guide, who's real name is Tinno, we drooled over all the beautiful cars in the museum. I think the cheapest we found was 75000 euros which would probably be about $125,000. I put one on layaway. I should pick it up at a quarter past NEVER! The building was magnificent also!


BMW-museum or in German BMV

The Olympics where held in Munich in the summer of 1972. Today the facilities are used for local events, soccer for profession and amateur games along with concerts. We were able to go into the swimming hall where Mark Spitz set is 7 gold medal record. Sadly we saw many amateurs belly flop it from the high dive. When they hit the water, you thought there were 20 guns going off at the same time. Had to hurt!

Swimming hall where Mark Spitz set his 7 gold medals record.

Sadly this is where I must end for this portion of "Hanie in Germany." I do have more to share about Munich but due to early mornings I must head to bed now. Check your local computer screen for the next blog in a day or so.

1 comment:

Katie and Travis Melser said...

I just read through all your most recent posts and am so jealous of you. It is so great that you get to do something as cool as this and experience a different culture and life and meet new people. You are like the coolest person I know right now!