Monday, January 26, 2009

Rothenburg, Germany

First lesson in German - Rothenburg is pronounced Row-ten-berg. Okay now that that is over, let's move on.

Rothenburg is a medieval village about 18 km from where I am. Within the fortress they filmed the old version of "Brother's Grimm". (Sorry not the Matt Damon version girls). Once you enter the 'town limits' you climb stairs and walk along a wall that is probably 2 or so miles long. Along this wall you can look out at the rooftops of Rothenburg and the other side is a stone wall with a few peep holes that were used as spyholes or a place to shoot arrows at intruders. That's the summary, now here's the pics!:



Picture through one of the peepholes. Nice view eh?!

So cute isn't it!!

Rothenburg is now a tourist town but at the same time it really did not feel like it. They had shops galore with beautiful teapots, cuckoo clocks, souvenirs, and small cafe's. It was a very nice and relaxing environment. We just walked the streets, looked at the beautiful buildings and checked out the cute stores. One of the stores is the famous Kathe Wohlfarte collection. The store is full of Christmas ornaments, more than you can even imagine! They even have a museum but we didn't feel like spending the money or time there. Check it out online. It is amazing!

Truck parked outside Kathe Wohlfahrt store.

The rest of the pictures are of some buildings that I thought were pretty cool. Also the pic of me on the stairs is in front of St. Jakobschricke church. We didn't get to go in but apparently there is a scene of Christ and Judas that is remarkable and also a huge organ. I hope to go back there again so maybe next time.



Just a cool looking clock down one of the streets.



This last picture is somewhat of a famous scenery spot from Germany. Mom, you will have to check and see if that puzzle I bought before I left is a picture from Rothenburg and is part of this scenery. And somewhere there is supposed to be an old castle but I don't think I got a picture of it. Maybe I will go back when its spring so everything will be in bloom. Oh how gorgeous that will be!! - Jan 24th, 2009

Next post...Nurnberg, home of the Nazi Party Rallies and Nurnberg Trials

4 comments:

Zonnie said...

Beautiful Steph! I am so happy to be able to live vicariously through you!(Is that even how you spell vicariously teacher?? :P)

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

Ditto Zonnie's comment!

I get so excited when I see on my google reader that I have new posts from you! Those pictures are awesome! Can't wait to hear more about all the church organs!

Brittany said...

That's so awesome that you got to go to Rothenburg. Did you ride the really tiny train on your way to get there? I too did not get to go into Jacobkirche. I don't know if it's open to the public. Lucky girl. I so want to go back! Did you try a schneeball? They were everywhere! The little round pastries with different flavors made out of cut strips of crust. They are so good! Did you go to any of the museums while there?

Chet, Shelly and the 3 little peas in our pod said...

Wow, Steph. It looks amazing there! I am so jealous! Enjoy all of that yummy chocolate!